Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thumb Pollicization


So what is thumb pollicization? Well in my definition it is an incredible surgery that will allow my child to perform anything that requires a thumb/finger pinch grasp. So what will this allow Ben to do? Cutting, writing, zipping, grasping tweezers, holding his bottle better, holding a spoon better, grasping a baseball bat, holding a car steering wheel to list a few. Somethings he will be able to do better and some he will do for the first time. The medical field would define it as the surgical creation of a thumb from a finger, usually the index finger. There are several techniques, but they have in common steps to shorten, rotate, and reposition muscles to achieve a functional and aesthetic result.

3 comments:

Lolita Breckenridge said...

I love this blog! You have done such an amazing job - Brody's surgery is next week and it's so exciting to see this - Go Dawn! Woot!

Jennifer said...

My son Evan is also going to have this surgery. Thank you for giving me a glimpse of what he/we are going to go through.

Catherine T said...

My daughter just had this surgery one week ago today. I was so excited about finding your blog and was very encouraged by your son's progress.